Friday, May 25, 2012

day 03 - what band/musician is most important to you? explain why.


I think it would have to be Nirvana. I was not influenced by their lyrics or such since their lyrics never made sense at times. They are just important to me because, I guess it was because of their lyrics not making sense and they did not want people to find some meaning in it. 
They were bunch of dudes just doing their thing, not caring about what people want in music and not caring about what they wrote about. This taught me how to enjoy being myself and not caring about what other's thought about me. Words thrown into their music would strangely be meaningful to me because I was so much into them. "My heart is broke but I have some glue. Help me inhale; I'll mend it with you. We'll float around, and hang out on clouds. Then we'll come down and have a hangover" (dumb), "I wish I could eat your cancer when you turn black. Hey wait, I got a new complaint. Forever in debt to your priceless advice" (heart-shaped box) , "I'm so happy cause today I found my friends in my head. I'm so ugly that's okay cause so are you" (lithium), these were some of the lyrics that were so meaningful to me that I found it deep, somehow. 
I remember how I used to listen to Nirvana's unplugged songs that I got hand of somehow and transferred it to my cell phone, everyday and every night. I wasn't a die hard Nirvana junkie nor was I so much influenced by their culture and their trend. I was just very much interested in how they were not interested in words rather just in their composition. For someone who always goes for meaningful songs, I was hooked on Nirvana. They got me past through my junior years without any problem of TRYING TO FIT IN stage. I did not care of what was it that I was doing nor would I care of involving others. I was happy as I could be. 
I bet there are people who would be wondering how in world Nirvana did that. Well, even I don't know. But all I know is, my life started with them. It was after Nirvana that I started going backwards, from pearl jam to bush to CCR to ZZ Top to Janis Joplin to Jimi Hendrix to The Beatles to Bob Dylan to Woody Guthrie and the list continues. 
Nirvana changed my perspective towards music, making me listen to all sorts of songs ranging from different genres and I'm glad to have begun with them. 
So, with no doubt and not even a slightest hesitation (which I usually have when I need to choose) I believe Nirvana is the most important band to me with many reasons that I myself am not aware of while Typing out my explanation.

No comments:

Post a Comment